On December 6, 1921, a group of public school teachers and
college professors gathered in Stillwater, Oklahoma to share teaching ideas, to
socialize and to simply have fun. Among them were Mary Brogden and Mable
Caldwell, two educators at Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State University),
who played a significant role in the founding of the sorority. This women's
group organized the Order of the Blue Blue Violet.
They obtained a state charter in Oklahoma on January 10, 1922. At the annual
meeting on February 6, 1931, the name was changed to Kappa Kappa Iota. In April
1949, Kappa Kappa Iota was nationalized.
The violet was chosen as the flower. The blue-violet of the violet and the
yellow-gold were selected as the sorority colors.
This corporation was formed to promote good fellowship and fraternal
cooperation; to oppose all forces which do not tend toward the improvement of
public schools; to issue charters signifying membership to local chapters; and
to receive fees to provide scholarship funds for deserving education majors.
Kappa Kappa Iota has the distinction of being one of the oldest organization for
educators in the United States and is now a 501c3 nonprofit organization.
More information about the history of Kappa Kappa Iota can be found in the
Legend of the Violets available through the National Headquarters.